Thursday, December 17, 2009

I'm a musician; is there a martial art which I can practice without risking damaging my hands and lips?

I cannot risk doing anything which will affect my work, but I would love to learn a martial art for fitness/ self protection/ fun.I'm a musician; is there a martial art which I can practice without risking damaging my hands and lips?
I play classical violin in a quartet, so I completely understand your concern. Here are a few options:





1) Haidong Gumdo - a Korean sword based martial art with no contact. I do this one, and there is great fitness and self defense in it, and no risk of injury to your hand/face. Go to www.ushaidong.net to find a school. They are not real common yet, but growing quickly. I know several orchestra players who also do Kendo (Japanese sword) which is similar.





2) Traditional hard style like Karate/Taewkondo - There is very little risk here. Just make sure you find a school that lets you were the padded MMA gloves to protect your fingers for one step sparring, or free form sparring. I have been doing this for decades with no finger injuries. Just stay away from the sport/olympic full contact stuff.








My advice is to stay away from Jui Jitsu and Judo as the throws, arm locks, and joint locks can easily mess up your hands. Also, stay away from any MMA place as they are full contact, and injuries are common. It is all accidental of course, but these types of injuries, although minor to most people, can destroy a musicians life for weeks.I'm a musician; is there a martial art which I can practice without risking damaging my hands and lips?
The majority of traditional martial arts (not grappling arts like bjj), taught by qualified instructors (qualified meaning they bring quality, not just a fat collection of belts and trophies), will not cause you any amount of physical damage in comparison to any other contact sport like soccer, football, etc.





There is always a small risk of getting hurt, but really, most schools don't push you to do something that you feel you aren't ready to do. Also, if someone is attacking you there are MUCH better targets than hands or lips.
No offense intended, but let me get this right. You want to learn a fighting art with no risk to your hands or lips. Sorry but even the softer arts can't do that. It is like asking someone to teach you how to swim without getting in the water. There is always some risk involved. How much will be determined by who your instructor is. As long as you pick a competent instructor the risk should be minimal. Don't let that stop you from training. Its not like you must break bricks or punch walls. Just train and be careful.
Well In my Taekwondo class, we mainly work on feet. So I think it would work, I havent ever sprained my wrist, or anything, just don't do what you know your hands cant take.
oh my god what a silly question and the even dafter answers you got!!





a martial art will at some point put your tootsies and your bottom lip atr risk.... i suggest karaoke its japanese and sounds like karate if said really fast to your friends
private lessons with the martial art of your choice. Just specify you needs with your instructor before hand.
Judo, jujitsu, wrestling.
Tai Chi
unless your looking to do full contact sparring, any martial art will do.





but i would stay away from bjj, and wrestling

No comments:

Post a Comment